Monday, July 05, 2010

Battling Homesickness with Music

I am at the stage in my travels where I feel very homesick. Maybe it's because yesterday was the 4th of July and I knew that everyone was having a blast while I was sitting and watching a documentary called, The End of Poverty? Great documentary, wrong day to watch it. I am told that this feeling will vanish in a few days. I hope that they come sooner rather than later.

I miss Nathan so much that is is almost unbearable. He is my best friend and the best thing in my life and it's hard not sharing all of these experiences with him. I thought we would be able to video conference here, but it looks like that is not going to happen. Note to Nathan: I am probably going to be pretty needy when I get home. Don't be annoyed.

In other news, I was on the hunt for live music on Saturday night. I've read so much about the "fabulous music scene" in Dakar but I had yet to experience it. We went to Just 4 U by the university around 9:30 and found out that Cheikh Lo was playing. He is a pretty big name around here so we decided to stick around. The opening band went on around 11 while Cheikh Lo didn't go on until after midnight. It was worth the wait. Check out this link for a live performance that is similar to what we saw. I will post my own videos when I get home. For now, here are some pictures from our night from the opening band to the main act:
From Dakar 2010
From Dakar 2010
From Dakar 2010

So I saw some live mbalax.
From Dakar 2010
Goal completed although I am willing to stay up until 3:30 AM again to hear mbalax again. My next goal for next weekend? Find a friend (and we've found one already) to take us into Medina for a sabar. We are going to make it happen!

Writing about the music has made me feel a lot better and I'm looking forward to further musical explorations... even if that means taking a cab through the streets of Dakar in the wee hours of morning (that's a post for another day). Thanks for sticking through my Debbie Downer first paragraphs and I'll check in later.

Love,
From Dakar 2010
Jen

1 comment:

Mr. Weber said...

Good luck finding your sabar! I think you're having more fun there than any of us are here! Chin up, little sistah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...