Thursday, March 03, 2011

Thank You Mindless MME Testing

Every year for the last four years I've whined and whined about MME testing. Every district in Michigan has to do it and I can't stand it. First, because we judge kids and districts by tests that are not written for every kid. Being judged that your school is "good enough" based on a score obtained from filling in bubbles doesn't make sense to me. But also, selfishly, I've always hated MME week because teachers have to proctor the test. It's four hours of sitting without reading, writing, or speaking. That is very difficult for me.

However, this year (after a few very stressful weeks) I welcomed test proctoring with open arms. I sat, stared, thought, stared, came up with new ideas, and contemplated many things in complete silence with the sound of pencils scratching in the background. There was nothing else to do. It was really awesome. I'm a very sarcastic person, but there is no sarcasm dripping from this post. I feel so light right now. I basically meditated for eight hours over the last two days. Glorious.

Thank you MME testing. I still dislike you for many reasons, but thanks for giving me back a shred of my sanity.

Read here for why high stakes standardized testing hurts our students.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...