Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tri Goddess Tri Race Recap Part II: The Race!

I was so excited for this triathlon to begin. I've been training hard and I felt ready. Plus, with one tri under my belt (and crossed off of The List) I felt like I knew more of what to expect. 

Before: My transition area set-up was so much better than the first one. I had clip-in shoes and my own bike this time! I bit the bullet and used some of my savings to buy my own road bike. It is used and beautiful and I am obsessed with riding it. I need to get my bike fitted (another expense... geez), but it is working for now. 
Note to self: Bring a feather boa or balloons next time to mark my transition spot! I'm also bringing a bucket to sit on!  
The Swim: I panicked. There were so many ladies in the water because this tri was so big that I didn't know how to sight and I kept getting smacked in the face with people's feet! I also kept taking in water and swallowing it. I swim alone in open water all the time (with my SwimSafe of course) and I felt so ready for this distance. I know I lost time because of the first 200 meters of the swim. After my initial panic and feeling like I needed to throw my arms up in the air so a kayak could rescue me I feel into my groove and finished without drowning. 
The Bike: I rocked it. Part of it was having my own bike. Part of it was having the clip-in shoes. I was only passed two times and the rest of the time I did the passing! Yeah! Me! I did the passing! I can't wait until I have the money for a real bike fitting. Maybe I'll go even faster!

The Run: I PRed! It was 3 miles and not 3.1 miles, but I finished in under 25 minutes! After the first mile it was all trail and I was ready. There is something so calming about running in the woods. I don't know if I can ever go back to road running.

After: After a scone, a banana, and a massage I felt on top of the world! There is nothing I'd rather do with my time and money on the weekend than a triathlon.

A note on wearing a one piece tri-suit:
I do not have high self-esteem about my body, so wearing a one piece tri-suit for this race was quite a big step for me. I had to put aside my insecurities about my beer gut, my thighs, my boobs, and my booty. I don't want people to see my jiggling and I get so nervous that people are looking at me and thinking, "Ew, what is she doing! She is a sausage!" To combat this, I thought of a video I recently saw by my new favorite: Leslie Hall. She owns a one piece spandex suit:
Tell yourself you’re a vessel of shimmy
And activate your dance floor kitty

When I place my legs in a cage of spandex
I dance like hell to release the madness
Watch my feet pound holes in plywood
Watch my hips crush plates of baked goods

Watch out for my body rolls!
Watch out for my body rolls!
High kicks!
High kicks!
This is how we do it!

Hahahaha! I've decided to own my body. I don't want to go into my 30s continually bashing myself when I am just fine! Yeah, I am curvy. So what? I'm going to keep wearing a one piece tri-suit because it makes my transitions and everything else easier!
Yep, I made a meme about it. If I had time to make a meme for every silly situation in my life I would!
After the tri I celebrated with a group of amazing ladies. I don't know if I will ever go to these events without other people. What fun is completing a triathlon if you can't celebrate your badassness with other badasses?
The tri buddies strike again!
It was like 10am here. According to Jimmy Buffet, it was five o'clock somewhere, right? Plus, did you know that the light pre-mixed Daily's bags are only 180 calories? 
The Numbers
Place: 7th out of 23 in the 25-29 age group; 39th out of 279
Swim (.5 mile swim): 19:14
Transition 1: 1:15
Bike (10.7 miles): 35:15
Transition 2: 2:01
Run (3 miles): 24:59
I'm a happy girl!
I have nothing to compare this tri to because my first one was completely different. However, I'm just happy-- I've never pictured myself being athletic or ever completing something like a sprint triathlon. Focusing on this has saved my life mentally and physically. I can't wait to do this tri again next year!

Which events are coming up?
Only one tri in July, August, and September because these thangs are exPENsive!
If I can find the money I will try to add one more tri to August and September.
3. August 18th: Three Rivers Triathlon
4. September 9th: The Rhoades McKee Reeds Lake Triathlon- This one will be my longest of the season!
Let me know if you will be at any of these races! I'd love to meet up.

I want to exchange tri tips and talk to other ladies who like to train for and do triathlons. Does anyone know of an online community for that? Is there anyone out there who is a beginner like me? Also, does anyone else know of some great tri bloggers? My blog doesn't fully focus on triathlons and training, but I want to talk about this because I LOVE IT! Hehe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...