Thursday, June 24, 2010

What up, French Keyboard!

Found an internet cafe today, but the computers are from 1998 so they don't recognize my camera software. It is very frustrating not having a computer here! The Lonley Planet guide says that internet cafes are becoming sparse here in Dakar because of wireless. I am a pretty resourceful gal, so I will make this work!

The flight was long, but uneventful. When I stepped off the plane in Dakar, I was hit with a wave of warm and heavy air. It's nothing I can't handle... I am from Michigan after all and we don't like to run our air conditioner so it feels like a normal Michigan summer day.

Yesterday we had lunch at Chez Loutcha and it was freaking awesome. I wish I could eat like that every day. Dinner was at Cafe di Roma and I will not eat there again. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but if I want pizza, I'll go to Little Caesar's when I get home. :)

Today we are visiting Goree Island. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to prepare for this trip to Goree, so I will have more to say on it after our lecture and visit. We are taking the ferry, which will be interesting to say the least because I have never taken a ferry on the ocean before! This is a big tourist spot so I won't feel like such a toubab when I'm taking pictures. Oh yes, a toubab, by the way is what people say to me as I walk down Dakar's winding streets. It pretty much means white traveler with money. Sometimes someone comes up and says, "Hola," which I take as a compliment!

I will find a way to post pictures soon!

1 comment:

Mr. Weber said...

I am trying to hear that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...