I'm a workaholic. I've worked my current job for six years without ever taking a real personal day. As a teacher in a huge high school I use my personal days to keep up with my life: I've used my 2 days a year to do laundry, grade papers, drive to weddings, complete a grad school final... there is always something to do that has nothing to do with taking a day for myself. I've taken a new job at a different school for next school year. I couldn't leave this job where I've had so many experiences and worked so hard without taking one real personal day.
On Friday it was time for that day. I always thought personal days were supposed to be fun. I'm so glad I put this goal on my list because I had SO MUCH FUN on Friday and I didn't do a lick of work. Okay, I sent one email to a parent, but it had to be done.
The Hubs had the day off too, so he made me breakfast...
|Potatoes, omelete with salmon, peppers, and goat cheese, topped with avocado remoulade. He spoils me.|
We went to Lake Michigan for the afternoon...
|This is the top of the dune. It's gorgeous, but the hike up the dune sucked! |
I napped and napped... for 3 hours. I could not get enough sleep!
|Thank you SPF 30 and my favorite sun hat!|
The beach was a bit rocky and the water was freezing but damn, it felt good.
|It's hard doing so much relaxing.|
On the way home we stopped at a farm stand and picked up strawberries, tomatoes, asparagus, and an apple cider slushie (not pictured because it was SO AMAZING).
|I love summer produce!|
When we got home we went to a new place for a bite to eat. I had my first dipped Italian beef sandwich (it was delicious) and peach cobbler. To burn the calories I met up with my workout bud for a 17 mile bike ride and a half mile swim. I don't know a lot of people who would go work out on an early Friday evening but we find that a workout is more refreshing than a bunch of beers at happy hour.
|D-Webb is the best workout buddy ever.|
At the end of the day I did make it out for drinks with friends. I shoved as much as I could into one day and it was awesome! Why did it take me six years of working to take a day? Why haven't I taken a personal day every year!?!
If you are like me--constantly working without pause--I encourage you to take a day off! Sleep in, get breakfast, go to the beach, go to the movies by yourself, get a pedicure, workout... do whatever you want to do because it feels great! :)
3. Swim across West Twin Lake and Rose Lake.
4. Bike the Kal-Haven Trail.
5. Play the piano in front of people.
6. Visit my family in the Philippines (or at least have tickets booked by my 30th birthday).
7. Have a conversation with a dear Senegalese friend in French or Wolof (preferably Wolof).
8. Visit my grandparents in California.
9. Pop a champagne cork with no fear.
10. Make leche flan (it's Filipino, it's amazing, and I'm makin' it).
11. Jar or can veggies, pickles, sauce... something.
12. Revised 5/1/12 because I remembered that I'm supposed to graduate in December and my Master's degree is really important to me!!! Get my Master's degree and submit some of my academic writing and then, maybe, you know... get it published.
13. Travel out of the country with Nate.
14. Pay off at least 50% of my remaining undergraduate credit card debt.
15. Sing karaoke by myself in Kalamazoo in front of all of my friends.
16. Eat clean for one month.
17. Pick berries and bake something with them.
18. Write at least one chapter of the novel that I write in my mind while I'm walking the dogs.
19. Thank my mom for everything she's done for me.
20. Go further into the UP than the Mystery Spot tourist trap and jump into Lake Superior.
21. Get chosen for one more summer fellowship in another country where I am able to work with youth.
22. Go on a police ride along.
23. Get to 200 blog posts.
24. Revised 5/1/12
25. Attend roller derby training so I can learn the moves.
28. Learn how to drive a stick.
29. Go horseback riding.
30. Poach an egg perfectly.