Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Earworm Wednesday: I Love Hannah the Dog

Over the last few months, our beloved Hannah (otherwise known as Hannah-Bear, Hanners, Hanney, Beepers, Sweet Pea, Honey Pie... etc) has been looking and acting old. Like, really old.
Hannah after we got her (and her sweater) in 2003.

I've started accepting that she is, like, really old. When we got Hannah, it was estimated that she was three of four years old. That was almost eleven years ago. According to the estimate, she's about fourteen or fifteen now. I've had family dogs, but Hanners is my first dog. She caught my eye as I wandered around the crates of rescue dogs because she was sitting back on her dog butt like a human and leaning her back against the back of the crate. I was intrigued.
Hannah the young pup begging for attention or food, as per usual. 

When I get home from work, she doesn't run up to the door anymore. In fact, I can stomp in with my loud walk, drop my bag on the ground, call her name-- she still won't get up. I can sneak up to her bed where she'll always be and she won't know I'm there until I rub her lumpy belly, which startles her awake and then she's happy to see me.
Hannah trying to fit into a cat bed because she's too cool for the floor. 

I love her so much that it's comical. I'm not going to speak for the Hubs, but I can bet that he feels the same way. Maybe it's ridiculous, but I don't care. I never thought I'd love a dog so much.
Just look at that face. 

She's getting those old dog lumps everywhere. Her hair is turning white. She takes more pills and vitamins in the morning than I do. Watching my first dog age is really hard and I hate it.
Our old, sweet Hannah basking in the sun few weeks ago.

I've been listening to this Suicide Machines song lately that I first heard in high school. When I heard it, I thought it was a love song. The first verse makes it seem that way, right? 

There's something with the way you walk

There's something there that lights a spark inside of me
And it makes me want to sing - Makes me forget everything
There's something there inside your eyes
Lets me know you'd never lie - You fill me up and I know what you need
Do you know what you mean to me?

Then you keep listening and it gets kind of weird if you still think it's a love song:

Well I watch you sleep sometimes and it feels like the first time
And you're always on my mind - Everyday is like the first day
And I talk to you sometimes even though you never talk back
And I buy you things sometimes 'cause I don't mind


There's something strange, I can't get mad
Even when you're being bad - just look at me, and I forget everything



I try but I can't be mean
You sit by me and I scratch your back
You lick my hands then I get a rash,
But that's okay - Because we, we are a team
You make a mess and then I clean



This song embodies everything I feel about Hannah the Dog. 
She's got it pretty good with us and she knows it. 

P.S. I love good ole' Nipsy the Dog too, but she's still bouncing around like a puppy and she's not making me want to listen to the the aforementioned Suicide Machines song over and over. ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...