Thursday, November 12, 2015

Speakers Droppin' Knowledge All Over My Town

Last Monday, I heard from Ta-Nehisi Coates and he dropped truth bombs all over the audience. It was awesome.
[via]
His talk left me feeling super hyped-up about organizing in our community. My absolute favorite quote from his talk, one that will stick with me forever is this:
"The struggle against white supremacy is not only the struggle of those who live under others' boots."
That's something we need to remember, especially when this is happening. In 2015. 

Friday, I heard from Gloria Steinem. Coates and Steinem in one week?!? In Kalamazoo, MI?!? Let me tell you, I felt like Babe Pig in the City. Gloria Steinem was a reminder of why I do what I do. Her words didn't move me like Coates', nor did they--at times--feel as well-researched. But at eighty-one, she's got some life-research under her belt, so I can't fault her.
Gloria Steinem is fiesty and full of energy. When someone said their son wanted to know if he could be a feminist, she said:
"Abso-fuckin'-lutely." Bwahahahaha


Here are some other knowledge bombs from Gloria Steinem's talk in Kalamazoo:

On truth-telling, even when it is hard: "Every movement needs a big dose of truth-telling, because that is the basis of consciousness change." and "We have to support each other into truth-telling." 

I hope every mansplainer and whitesplainer hears this at least once in their lives: "If you're in a situation where you have more power than the people around you, make sure you listen more than you talk. If you have less power than the people around you, make sure you talk more than you listen." 

On race: "Understand that if we made it up, we can unmake it up."

On intersectionality (or being intertwined): "Imagine we are linked, not ranked."-- This tidbit can be found in bracelet form at Maiden Nation.

I'll leave you with this:
"Worry less about what you should do and do everything you can."
That's an important self-care piece we forget sometimes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...