Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Pre-Departure Thank You

A few years ago, I attended a curriculum fair in Chicago that changed my life. A group from California talked about how too many educators try to create change alone and in the end, they burn themselves out. They talked about the importance of collaboration and why it's really the only way to do something substantial in the school system. Their words totally changed the way I think about social justice work in the schools. 

That being said, we couldn't have done this without help from many people. Everyone gave what they could and we can't thank all of you enough. Whether it was a pack of colored pencils or a full student sponsorship, every little bit helped. I'd like to say a special thank you to the staff at Kalamazoo Central High School. I'm so glad that I such awesome colleagues! Without their generous donations, we wouldn't have these school supply bags for the student's counterparts at Africulturban:
Each bag contains the following:
Pens, pencils, erasers, colored pencils, a notebook, a sharpener, crayons, some American candy, a t-shirt, a protractor, and a compass. 

With donations from family, friends, and the community, we were able to buy lanterns for when we don't have electricity, small gifts for families, and healthy snacks for the students (because you can't subsist on hot cheetos alone). 

Furthermore, we were able to take the extra school supply donations from family, friends, and Kalamazoo Central staff and fill two large suitcases for the high school we'll be working with in Pikine. 
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't wait to get on the plane tomorrow morning because I know we've got a lot of support! Our gratitude stretches from here all the way to Senegal. :)
Now for actual travel part of the trip. I've got to admit, I can't wait to get on the plane. Then the anxiety over planning has to stop and the trip will actually begin. 

Love,
Jen

P.S. I will blog as much as I am able to once we are in Pikine. We'll see how the wireless/electricity is this year. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...