Sunday, June 30, 2013

Oh my. (and a race report and training update)

Woah. Last week was insane. It was my turbo-Jen schedule on crack. Turbo-Jen schedule is my school schedule plus a few meetings and working out. It's an eight to eight day. Last week I had a few eight to midnight days and it was almost too much. Trying to shove work and summer into my life will lead me to exhaustion, so I have to be careful.

The Summer of Social Justice is underway and DUDE... it is crazy. I'm not even going to get into my summer job, which more than I bargained for. Let me stop there and just tell you about a few great things last week.

Great thing #1: The Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros concert. 
My sis Sky and I were lucky enough to see ESMZ at the State theater in our hometown on Monday night.
Waiting for the band to start in what felt like a sauna.
This show ranks up there in my top ten shows of all time. The energy, the set list, the opening band, the crowd... it was fantastic and magical. These types of shows only come once every few years if you're lucky.
Stage lights=Magical
Crowd=Magical
After the show, I felt high on life. I wanted to hug everyone I saw. Sky and I lingered in the fresh air for a few minutes and then started walking to our car only to see a crowd blocking our sidewalk. "What the heck," I thought, "What is happening?" 

Alex Ebert, the lead singer of EWMZ was sitting on top of some equipment crates putting on an alley show with a portable mic and amp. 
 I've gone to A LOT of shows at the State Theater in Kalamazoo and I've never seen anything like that. It made me love the band even more. It didn't matter that I didn't get home until 12:30am when I had to work in the morning. Worth it. 
A lead singer who loves his fans=Magical
Great Thing #2: The Gull Lake Triathlon
 Yesterday, I completed my second sprint tri of the season. 
No medal, but shooooooot... I felt great. Funny because I was a little hungover when I woke up in the morning. I only had two beers the night before, but they were microbrews so... yeah. Then, my tri friend Tina and I were a little bit late to the race and I forgot my race belt, but it was one of my fastest times ever! Maybe I should be late, forgetful, and hungover for my next tri? Ha!

In a 500 meter swim, 16k bike, and 5k run, I came in 4th out of 10 women in my age group with a time of one hour, twelve minutes. Last year around this time, I did the Tri Goddess Tri, which had similar distances and I finished in one hour, twenty-two minutes-- that is a TEN MINUTE improvement!!!!! What?!?! I can't wait for the Interockin' Tri next weekend! 

Last Week's Training Plan
Monday- 14 run (Edward Sharpe Concert!)
Tuesday- 14 swim, 28 bike
Wednesday- 19 swim
Thursday- 37 bike, 19 run
Friday- Off
Saturday- RACE!
Sunday- Off, yoga

The Real Deal
Monday- No run, but I danced and sweat like a crazy lady for over an hour. It counts, right? 
Tuesday- No workout, more sweating.
Wednesday- 37 bike, 20 run
Thursday- 40 swim
Friday- Off
Saturday- RACE and I rocked it!
Sunday- Off, dog walk


On to this week! This week, I need to watch my eating and drinking. I want to see how my tri time improves from eating well and training. No dairy. My stomach has been gurgling since I decided ordering a cheese plate was a good idea a few days ago. I'm lactose intolerant and I need to admit that to myself! 

This Week's Training Plan

Monday- 31 run, 40 swim (this is an extra swim)
Tuesday- 14 swim, 28 bike
Wednesday- 14 run, 19 swim (this is another extra swim... I might cut it)
Thursday- Off
Friday- 37 bike, 19 run
Saturday- Off
Sunday- Interockin' Tri!!!! Time to beat: 1 hour 23 minutes. I can do it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...